Buckwheat, a seed that comes from a plant that grows green heart-shaped leaves with small white flowers, is full of nutritious benefits! It’s gluten free and non-allergenic, a high source of fibre and digestible plant protein, reduces blood sugar and improves heart health (not to mention very yummy and great for salads)
Speaking of salads… this one is perfect to make in advance. Pair it with your choice of protein or serve it as a side - this salad has been paired with seared feta (exactly how you'd sear haloumi) - yum!
Gluten free, sugar free, vegetarian
Serves 8 as a side.
- 1 cup buckwheat
- ½ cup barley or brown rice
- ½ cup dried mung beans (optional)
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp. pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. capers (optional)
- ¾ cup Very berry mix
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup thick natural coconut or dairy yoghurt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. honey
1. Cook buckwheat, brown rice or barley, and dried mung beans in boiling water (separately) until tender.
2. Toast pumpkin seeds, almonds & pistachios together in a hot pan.
3. Toss with coriander, parsley, red onion, toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped almonds, pistachios, capers, Very Berry mix, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Whisk together ingredients for dressing in a small bowl.
5. Serve, drizzled with dressing and your choice of protein and enjoy!