Spiced Pumpkin Quinoa and Maple Nuts
A delicious combination of flavours, this salad is a must! Warm spiced pumpkin mixed with sweet maple nuts…Yesch Please!
Gluten free, dairy free, vegan
Serves 4 as a side.
• 1/4 pumpkin, approx. 700-800g, sliced into 4 wedges
• 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp. olive or melted coconut oil
• ½ cup quinoa (white, red or mixed)
• ½ cup fresh herbs, rocket or baby spinach, finely sliced
• ¼ small red onion, finely diced
• Sea salt and black pepper
• ¼ cup walnuts
• ½ cup roasted salted mixed nuts
• 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (if you're after a healthier option, just remove the maple syrup and enjoy the nuts plain).
• 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar / squeeze of fresh lemon
• 1 tsp. mustard
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Heat oven to 200C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place pumpkin pieces on one tray, sprinkle with cinnamon and oil and toss to coat. Place in oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Roast nuts on the other tray, by tossing with maple syrup and placing in the oven to cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook quinoa with ¾ cup water, until absorbed and tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve on large platter or tray. Sprinkle half the onion, maple nuts, fresh herbs and cooked quinoa on the base of the tray, top with pumpkin pieces then repeat.
- Pour dressing into a small dish on the side of the platter, season all with sea salt and black pepper, serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!